Spotted Owls

Spotted Owls
adapted from my photo of 2008

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Driving, driving

Today reminded me a lot of my 2008 big year of birding. Driving, driving toward a goal, paying attention to the birds somewhat as I fly by, but mostly intent on the distant goal. This trip the goal is home, and I'll be there tomorrow. Today I drove about 730 miles across South Dakota, Nebraska and most of Kansas. Tomorrow out of Kansas, to Oklahoma and then Texas. I did not take this route in 2008, but I did quite a few days with similar single-mindedness. It was good to have our dog Shar along for company today. She's an amazing traveler, able to doze curled up on the passenger seat for mile after mile, only periodically rousing herself to look around, paw at me, and then circle around and curl up again. Of course she's always most eager to get out as soon as I slow down a bit from highway speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

gold parties