Spotted Owls

Spotted Owls
adapted from my photo of 2008

Friday, November 12, 2010

It's looking more like winter every day

I finally let myself go birding today, out to Lake Benbrook in southwestern Tarrant Co. (TX)and found 54 species in just under 3 hours. Sparrows were plentiful (Harris's, White-crowned, Song, Vesper, Savannah, Lincoln's, Fox), as were Yellow-rumped and Orange-crowned Warblers, Ruby-crowned Kinglets, and American Pipits. Just one Brown Creeper was heard and then finally seen. Waterbirds were more limited - American Coots, Mallards, Gadwalls, Green-winged Teal. The only gulls that I saw were Ring-billed, and there were also Forster's Terns out on the water. Probably the best bird was a Bald Eagle diving at coots near the shore. I tried to get a picture when it was close, but only succeeded in getting it focused just before the eagle disappeared around a bend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

gold parties