Spotted Owls

Spotted Owls
adapted from my photo of 2008

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

OK Panhandle

I'm in Guymon, halfway across the OK Panhandle. I got away from Ft. Worth about 11:00 and drove north to Hackberry Flat, which is sort of on the way here. Highlights there were Bank Swallows and a flock of Wilson's Phalaropes. Just north of there at an area with cattle on both sides of the road was a huge flock of Yellow-headed Blackbirds, some of which I photographed as they crossed the road ahead of me. I then headed north and west. After the sun had set but trees and poles were visible in silhouette, I came to the tree where I had found a Great Horned Owl nest about a month ago (and had painted the owl later from my photo). Tonight, an adult owl was out on a pole in the field and what appeared to be a huge unfeathered juv owl was sitting in the nest. There may have been a second one behind the first, but it was just too dark. I'll check out the nest on Friday morning when I come back through past that tree on my trip back to Hackberry Flat for the OOS meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

gold parties