Spotted Owls

Spotted Owls
adapted from my photo of 2008

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Bentsen State Park

Today I had no TOS responsibilities and needed to head home, but I went to Bentsen State Park for most of the morning before heading out. I was delighted to see two of my goal birds (missing the Allen's Hummingbird in spite of about three hours of feeder-watching). What I did see was a Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl, which someone else found. The owl finder came tell us about the owl(I was watching another set of feeders for the Rose-throated Becard). The owl was high in a tree and easily seen if you knew just exactly where to look, and almost impossible to find if you did not. When I returned to the becard spot, it was not too long before the becard returned. It is apparently a young male with the pinkest throat I have ever seen on one (having not seen a full adult male). Although I did not see it feed today, its habit is to feed from a peanut butter feeder, which seems very strange.

I am posting a picture of the Rose-throated Becard and another of the Tropical Parula seen yesterday (because yesterday my computer just ceased operating and I gave up).

No comments:

Post a Comment

gold parties