Spotted Owls

Spotted Owls
adapted from my photo of 2008

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Warblering in the Valley

Today I was the leader for the "Weslaco Rocks" field trip as part of the TOS meeting, going to Estero Llano Grande (E), the Valley Nature Center, and Frontera Audubon (F), all in Weslaco (TX). Highlights for me were a Black-throated Gray Warbler and a Yellow-throated Warbler (E), and Nashville and Wilson's Warblers and a Tropical Parula (F). I'm hoping to post a picture of the Tropical Parula. In between actual birding, part of this field trip was my talk at the Valley Nature Center on my ABA Big Year in 2008, primarily attended by about 50 winter Texans, who were a great audience with lots of interest and good questions about what it's like to do a big year. It's been a great TOS meeting with about 220 registrants, pretty good weather and many good birds. There will be a few field trips tomorrow for people who do not need to head home right away. My plans are to go to Bentsen State Park to look for the Rose-throated Becard, which was refound today after a couple of days of being absent. Then I'll start the 9+ hour drive back to Fort Worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

gold parties