Spotted Owls

Spotted Owls
adapted from my photo of 2008

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Drive across OK and hunt for swans

Today (1/5) after trying unsuccessfully for the owl (see last post), I drove across northern Oklahoma to the Garber area to look for the Trumpeter Swans that had been found a few days ago. Most of the ponds were nearly completely frozen over, and I found no swans - just many ducks and geese, mostly sitting on ice or out in the fields. I headed south to Norman to the Summit Lake subdivision, a site where swans had also been reported. This time I was more lucky and found 7 Trumpeter Swans (1 imm, 6 adults). I then explored the area around Lake Thunderbird to the east of Norman, where I added Wild Turkeys, Bonaparte's Gulls, American White Pelican, Ruby-crowned Kinglet and Greater Roadrunner to my OK year-list. I ended the day at 74 species for the year in OK, as compared to 137 for Texas so far. For details on what birds I've seen so far, you can check my web-site (http://www.lynnbarber.com), which I should be able to get up-to-date shortly. Tomorrow I'll head south to home, birding along the way of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment

gold parties