Spotted Owls

Spotted Owls
adapted from my photo of 2008

Monday, February 8, 2010

Rainy, Rainy, Birdy

I'm glad we're not getting snow in Fort Worth, and that I escaped the east coast last week before the big snows there, but I'm getting a bit tired of the rain here. The birds, however, are more active than ever. Much of the time, even in the rain, the goldfinch feeders are filled, which means that there are at least 70 finches, plus the branches of the pecan tre above the feeders are filled with more sweetly talking goldfinches. Quarts of nyjer seed are consumed each day. And Rufie, our wintering female Rufous Hummingbird, periodically appears on the porch, under the roof, to drink from either the heated or the unheated feeder. How all these birds manage to not die of overexposure amazes me. And where does a tiny hummingbird keep dry and safe when she's not on our porch? I need to go over and stand by our electric heater to warm up just thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

gold parties