Spotted Owls

Spotted Owls
adapted from my photo of 2008

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Yellow-billed Loon in Oklahoma

It's been at Lake Hefner in northwest Oklahoma City for awhile. I'd tried to see the loon on my way to the OK Panhandle, but no sign of it. Today I was back there trying again. I did the whole route around the lake, stopping and scoping the whole lake as often as I could find parking. I did see the batch of Common Loons, which was up to 9 today, way out on the lake. I tried to convince myself that one maybe had a lighter bill. But then they got too far away to see. So I started the circuit around the lake again. I was just about past Prairie Dog Point, when there it was, quite close to me, and very clearly my first non-ocean view of a Yellow-billed Loon (only saw one off CA and 4 off AK before).

No comments:

Post a Comment

gold parties